BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Need new clutch. Options?

Is there any options out there currently besides spec? Not that I don't want to use them, I just like to maul over all of my possible options and make the best choice.

As for the clutch, should I do fly wheel and as well as pressure plate? I know the OEM flywheel is Duel mass, but should I get a single mass flywheel? I don't want a bunch of unnecessary noise if possible and I hear that's what I would get with a single mass. But if it's really -that- much better I'm not against that either.

I just want something that is going to handle my FBO JB4 G5 ISO 50/50 e85/93octane car and still be usable on the street. Clutches are one of those things I'm not very versed in. Any help and advice is appreciated guys.
      07-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
I'd go with clutch masters. They are the only ones i've never heard bad things/haven't had bad experiences with.

I've had many bad experiences with Spec's customer service. They are awful to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Maina
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

More info needed guys, please. I need to replace mine asap too!
      07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
DSP_135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Mine was slipping after I switched to map 5 on the JB4. Swapped it out to the ACT Street clutch and haven't had any issues. About to add meth so we will see?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
As for the clutch, should I do fly wheel and as well as pressure plate? I know the OEM flywheel is Duel mass, but should I get a single mass flywheel? I don't want a bunch of unnecessary noise if possible and I hear that's what I would get with a single mass. But if it's really -that- much better I'm not against that either.
Be careful with a single mass unit if you don't want noise. Apparently how noisy a single mass is varies between car models and I don't have personal experience with one on my 135, but I had one on my previous VW and it was brutal - rattled like a bucket of bolts. There is some perceptible performance improvement between a lighter single mass and the heavier OEM unit but it isn't dramatic, and definitely not worth the noise tradeoff on my last car. I think there's a legit reason why Dinan's LFW is a lightened oem dual mass and not just another aluminum single mass. Probably best if you could find someone with single mass flywheel on their 1er and see what you think before committing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

i don't believe anyone when they say a single mass flywheel is noisy

i've owned/driven TONS of cars, all with SMFW's and there's no flywheel noise

my DMFW however? marbles in a coffee can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
I think there's a legit reason why Dinan's LFW is a lightened oem dual mass and not just another aluminum single mass. Probably best if you could find someone with single mass flywheel on their 1er and see what you think before committing.

the problem with ANY DMFW though, is they can fail, and at high power cause false knock detection.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

For some reason on cars with DMFW like BMW's the singles make some noise. Aluminum flywheels noisier than the steel version. Plenty of people stick with their DMFW but depending on the prior mileage and abuse I would consider looking into a new DMFW if that's the route you go. There have been a few cases of the flywheel springs braking and even a few cases of flywheels leaving the transmission which can be very dangerous. I personally will trade a little noise for that extra bit of safety not to worry about if my flywheel might fly apart cause a spring got wore out.
      07-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Jai2008
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

my DMFW however? marbles in a coffee can.

the problem with ANY DMFW though, is they can fail, and at high power cause false knock detection.
Too bad none of those cars are a n54. Its a fact that SMFW on our cars make noise. You can choose to not believe it all you want.....

OP, do a search, there a numerous videos of noises from both steel and aluminum flywheel on "our" cars.
      07-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cars that run OEM SMFW are quiet because the engineers took that into consideration when dealing with NVH. We have OEM DMFW(they can absorb/smooth out NVH pretty well) so that gave them some room for error. Now when we install a SMFW that "room for error" is no longer there and we get gear chatter and vibration when accelerating from a low RPM.

OP, A spec stage 2+ clutch with a new DMFW(buy the luk brand, it's the OEM unit without the BMW tax) is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
      07-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai2008 View Post
Too bad none of those cars are a n54. Its a fact that SMFW on our cars make noise. You can choose to not believe it all you want.....

OP, do a search, there a numerous videos of noises from both steel and aluminum flywheel on "our" cars.
i can't find any video on it

heck, i've been in track cars that don't make flywheel noise

all i know is i've never been in a noise SMFW, it's not possible for it to be noisy as there's nothing for it to 'rattle' against, unlike a DMFW which has springs and 2 masses to clatter

and that my DMFW is noisy as shit lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Jai2008
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
i can't find any video on it

heck, i've been in track cars that don't make flywheel noise

all i know is i've never been in a noise SMFW, it's not possible for it to be noisy as there's nothing for it to 'rattle' against, unlike a DMFW which has springs and 2 masses to clatter

and that my DMFW is noisy as shit lol.

type "n54 spec smfw" in google and you'll find many post on it.

They work great as long as you can put up with some rattle.
      07-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai2008 View Post

type "n54 spec smfw" in google and you'll find many post on it.

They work great as long as you can put up with some rattle.
This last video is actually there to demonstrate the lack of rattle with the steel SMFW.

To be honest the other videos didn't sound that bad to me either.

I reckon when I need a clutch upgrade I might go the spec 2+ with steel SMFW.
      07-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #13
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Heard great things about the Spec Stage 2+ , and keeping the factory dual mass flywheel (but still must resurface it).

I don't have personal experience with the setup, but that's what I found after doing some research on clutches. As mine was slipping badly with the Cobb E30 E85 mix map. The clutch holds fine on any of the stage 2 maps though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
The noise in question is from the gear teeth rattling against each other at low rpm when in neutral, not the flywheel itself. A dual mass damps this out whereas a single mass does not - or at least not as effectively.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:

Go drive any subaru with a SMFW. Every single one rattles like hell.
Appreciate 0