ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
VW Golf R as Daily - Feedback?

Getting married, need to find a new daily. No worries though, I am keeping the Z! =)

I have an 06 G35x - last year of the first generation (with the facelift). The car has nearly 110,000 miles and has been absolutely reliable. All I do are oil changes every 5k, fluids every 30k, and replaces brakes/tires/wipers as needed. I'm almost certain I can drive this car until 200k without issue. However, the car is terrible when it comes to mileage and it has no personality. It's truly the perfect dd when it comes to utility but like many other Japanese cars, feels like I'm driving an appliance. I plan on giving this car to my parents who don't drive as much as they used to but could benefit from awd (my dad throws in cinder blocks in the truck of their rwd sedan for winters).

Few weeks back I got to drive my friend's VW Golf 2.5 and I was surprised how spacious the car was. It was weird being in the driver seat and having so much visibility around the sides - felt like I was in a dome. After this experience, I started thinking about a VW hatch, specifically a '12 VW Golf R... I used to have a 1.8T which was terrible in terms of reliability but it seems like VW has come a long way since the B7 / MK6 chasis..

Anyone here test drive the Golf R? Any current owners out there? Seems like a great car, 4 doors, manual, spacious, fun to drive. I'd probably keep the car stock and slap on an APR stg 1 ecu upgrade and call it a day. FWIW, for the longest time I was thinking about picking up a 135i but I just can't justify 2 cars in my garage, both coupes.
      08-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Ive driven a new GTi and it was fantastic. The driving characteristics were overall very nice. Everything felt neutral yet at the same time was ready to perform at a push of the pedal. The GTi is obviously a bit different than the R but the R would just be a little better as I imagine.

Sounds like the euro 135 hatch would be perfect for you. Shame BMW doesnt bring it here. This may be a bit weird, but since you are looking at a FWD 4-door, have you looked at the new Mazda offerings? I had substantial seat time in a new Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv and it was a truly terrific car. May not be on the same level as an R, but I think its worth considering. The Mazda 3 I drove was WAY better than any G35/G37 I have driven, despite the Mazda being underpowered compared to the G.

Also just curious, why an R over a smaller engined 4 door VW hatch?
      08-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
Also just curious, why an R over a smaller engined 4 door VW hatch?
Simple, the R like it's R32 predecessors come with the awd Haldex system. The only reason I never jumped on the R32 was because I was never a fan of the VR6 but the 2.0TSI (beefed up version of the 2.0t FSI in the GTI/GLI) + haldex in the Golf R makes it a complete package.
      08-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

I owned a 2011 GTI recently, which is, for all intents and purposes, a FWD, smaller turbo Golf R. I've also driven some of my friends' Golf Rs.

Practicality is great. The hatch along with the 60/40 fold down rear seats allows you to fit a LOT of stuff in. I fit a whole 5 piece drum set with all hardware/6 cymbals, etc. with no problem. Gas mileage is OK, it's not a gas guzzler but it's not a high MPG car either. Average MPG is about 23.

The interior is awesome. The leather isn't as good quality as BMW, but the ergonomics, usability/function, and tech/appearance is much better IMO.

Power/acceleration - stock, it's nothing special. It grips off the line nicely due to the AWD system, but it's really hard to get a good launch and you will most often end up bogging the engine. After 1st gear, acceleration is mediocre. Highway acceleration is also mediocre. The GTI dynos at 200whp, Golf R at 225whp (same Mustang dyno, same day, same conditions, etc). The Golf R weighs ~300lbs more than the GTI. $600 or so will buy you a simple ECU flash that will boost power considerably, and is honestly a must-have if you buy a Golf R (or GTI).

Handling is OK. Lots of understeer, and the AWD system is FWD biased, as well as being Haldex-based which some say has poorer reaction times than Torsen based systems. You can buy an upgraded Haldex controller which will shift it to being RWD biased for better acceleration and handling characteristics.

Also, you should be aware that the 2.0T in the Golf R is NOT the same motor that's in the GTI/GLI. The Golf R motor is actually the FSI motor from the MKV generation, as opposed to the TSI motor in the MKVI GTI/GLI. Because of this, there are some more issues that Golf R owners have to deal with, like HPFP failures, and more (can't remember).

If AWD isn't a must-have, you might want to look into the Focus ST/Fiesta ST. Both handle MUCH better than the Golf R/GTI.

Check out golfmk6.com, there's tons of info there. Or if you like hellaflush/stanced/ruined cars, vwvortex.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

The question becomes do you need 4 wheel drive? If not, buy the new GTD that's coming in the next months. GTI with a Diesel engine, two or four doors. Handling fun, with diesel economy.
      08-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The last one I drove rattled and creaked like a bitch. Probably a lot of fun, but construction-wise, it's gone downhill from past models. For that price, the FR-S/BRZ seem just as fun.
      08-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FRS/BR-Z are not practical cars at all if OP wants interior/cargo space and not another coupe in the garage...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i was shopping for a daily as well and considered the golf r, as well as a4, bmw xdrive and mercedes 4matic. i used the have a mkv gli and loved it, but eventually sold it and bought a lexus is250awd. the car was a little tight with a baby so we sold it in search of something more practical. we ended up buying a 328i xdrive and i love it. awd is much better than the golf r and the quality/finish of the materials is better, especially with the sport/premium package.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3, C30 Polestar and WRX should also be on your list. I would also take a look at the Juke. They now have the NISMO version with a little extra power. My BIL has one(CVT SL model) and is a really cool car. Very good deal for 25K out the door.

Last edited by chickdr; 08-05-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
we ended up buying a 328i xdrive and i love it. awd is much better than the golf r and the quality/finish of the materials is better, especially with the sport/premium package.
Regarding AWD, it depends what you're looking for. For snow/wet conditions, the x-drive system might be better than the Golf R, but for performance/sporty driving I have a hard time believing that the x-drive is worth much...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

This is very funny to me because I went through this whole debate myself and have owned a few of these cars.

Started with an MKV R32 to MKVI GTI then MKVI Golf R and now FR-S as a daily driver. I'll keep it short and say that if I know then what I know now, I'd get a CPO R32.

OP, you mentioned you don't like the VR6 engine, is it because of gas mileage? I averaged 24MPG for the 2 years I had it. Golf R isn't much better and you don't get to hear wookie when you step on the fun pedal.

08-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
The question becomes do you need 4 wheel drive? If not, buy the new GTD that's coming in the next months. GTI with a Diesel engine, two or four doors. Handling fun, with diesel economy.
GTD is next on my list. However, it's a 2 year wait before we see them in NA.
      08-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The VR6 wookie sounds good for sure, but that's pretty the only benefit... R32 are slow!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
z4mcoupe
boon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
The VR6 wookie sounds good for sure, but that's pretty the only benefit... R32 are slow!
Speed is relative. For most people, a daily driver which gets to 60MPH in under 6 seconds with no effort is plenty quick.
      08-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongnoi View Post
Speed is relative. For most people, a daily driver which gets to 60MPH in under 6 seconds with no effort is plenty quick.
Fair enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
Regarding AWD, it depends what you're looking for. For snow/wet conditions, the x-drive system might be better than the Golf R, but for performance/sporty driving I have a hard time believing that the x-drive is worth much...
Isn't the R normally FWD with on demand (most of the time no power going to the rear) and up to 50% of the power going to the rear when needed and the x-drive normally split 40:60 front to rear? Why is the x-drive worse?
      08-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Dare i say it, how about a golf tdi? Yeah the hp sucks but you get the look,decent Tq, the room, and mpg that's as good as a prius.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Isn't the R normally FWD with on demand (most of the time no power going to the rear) and up to 50% of the power going to the rear when needed and the x-drive normally split 40:60 front to rear? Why is the x-drive worse?
Its not. I drove both in a storm the same day. Bmw was better for sure. After m3 sway bars and a set of kw's it handles awesome as well
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I have a Golf R and before that a mk4 r32. I liked the R32 much more. I really can't stand the turbo lag. Not seeing a difference in gas mileage either. Build quality seems cheaper too. If you're ok with dsg and the look of the mk5, get it over the golf R.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The VR6 in the R32 sounds so much better than other applications of the motor. In the Touareg and Cayenne it was anemic and sounded horrible. I am not a big fan of the 2.0T motors. They have good power but just don't have the feel/sound I like. I am currently driving am Audi Q5 loaner with the 211hp TSFI 2.0T. It accelerates fine but I much preferred the 270hp 3.2 V6 version I had a couple of years ago. That motor sounded amazing when caned. I understand they are coming out with an SQ5 variant next year with a 350+ hp S/C 3.0 V6. That should be a hoot.
Appreciate 0