BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Robz26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Anyone ever return a lease early?

I'm assuming you sometimes have the option to return your lease early if you have equity in the car / if used prices rally much more than your residual.

I have a dilemma. A job assignment might cause me to move abroad in November for an extended period of time. My perfect M3 was leased in March 2012 on a 36 month, 10k mile lease.

It's a fully loaded 2012 Jet Black on Black E93 -- DCT with every option. My residual is $51,940.35 and I'm paying $1k/month on the lease.

Any advice? Is there a chance the dealership will take it back early? Should I consider a lease swap online?

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Most leasing companies want the lease fulfilled, so they will let you out of the lease as long as you pay them all remaning payments up front. So if you have 24 payments left, at $1000 each they're going to want $24,000 to let you out of the lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Think of your lease like a loan. The buyout amount (outstanding loan amount) changes every month as more payments are made; just like a loan's outstanding balance. The residual amount is the same as the buyout amount after the last payment is made. Contact the leasing company to determine your current buyout amount. Go to your dealer of choice and ask them how much they would pay to buy your car. If they would pay an amount that exceeds your current buyout amount, then you have equity. If they offer you less then you would have to cover the difference.

Alternatively you can find a buyer for your car and apply the same financial concept. The trick is to do the sale through a dealership if you find a third party buyer. Selling the car to a third party without utilizing a dealer will result in double taxing. Technically you would need to buy the car from the leasing company first (and pay taxes on that purchase amount), then sell it to your buyer (who will again pay sales tax). A dealer can conduct the first transaction without tax. I have done this multiple times. Example - lease buyout is $30,000, find a third party buyer for $35,000, have the BMW dealer conduct the transaction, dealer charges a fee of $500, dealer writes me a check for $4500.

A third option is to have someone take over your lease. I believe BMW charges a $500 fee to run the credit and perform the transfer. You will of course want to be sure that you are fully released from the lease liability.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 08-09-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Most leasing companies want the lease fulfilled, so they will let you out of the lease as long as you pay them all remaning payments up front. So if you have 24 payments left, at $1000 each they're going to want $24,000 to let you out of the lease.
There are much better ways to get out of a lease. See my post above.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 08-09-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Lease takeovers are sticky and time consuming but can be done. You can always check with your local dealer and see if they'll buy the car out from you. This could give you the least out of pocket cost vs just paying out the lease. Let's say your current value for dealer trade in is $60k but your buyout on the lease is $68k (residual plus remaining payments is what they would have to pay), then you're out of pocket $8k. Good luck finding a dealer to take the car off your hands for no cash out of your pocket but it could happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

I had that issue with my MB C63.

Someone may have already suggested selling at a dealer. A quick way is to go down to your local CarMax. They will appraise the car on the spot without hassling you to buy a car from them. They will give a print out of their amount: if its more than your payoff then they will mail you a check, if its even you walk away without any more payments to worry about, and if its less than your payoff - you have to pay the difference.

You could see if a BMW dealership wants to take it back but my feeling is they will really try to lowball you.

Trying to end the relationship with BMW financial directly will prob be too expensive.

Having someone assume your lease thru swap a lease or leasetrader.com might be an option but I don't have any personal experience with that.

Good luck
2015 BMW X5M gone
2013 Porsche Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
dt34
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo MC, i3

I took over a lease on an M coupe a few years back. Was an easy process done through BMW.

I am in Michigan and the car was in L.A. Did all the paperwork over email and snail mail and flew out and picked the car up. I found the car on one of the BMW forums in the classifieds, might want to give that a shot.
Appreciate 0