ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Any aftermarket warranties decent?

My CPO ends in 4 days. Are there any aftermarket warranties worth looking into or are they all going to deny me based on my stubby antenna mod (referring to the guy who was denied a seized engine due to coilovers). Or should I just take my chances? I'm all set on maintenance, inspection 2 was done 4k ago and I already took it to an Indy shop to check thoroughly for any issues I could get fixed under CPO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I don't know--never use them. Over a lifetime, self-insuring is a much better option IMO. Setting aside and paying into a reserve/warranty fund, after an initial deposit, pays interest, and there's no possibility of denial.

I think some have had reasonably good experiences. Hopefully they'll chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I don't know--never use them. Over a lifetime, self-insuring is a much better option IMO. Setting aside and paying into a reserve/warranty fund, after an initial deposit, pays interest, and there's no possibility of denial.

I think some have had reasonably good experiences. Hopefully they'll chime in.
X2
      08-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Self-insuring is the answer. Take the money would have spent on the warranty and put it in a "service" account. Always there when you need it...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Add me to the list of self insuring. It's a gamble, but with a quality vehicle, the odds are in your favor. There are a lot of high mile, reliable Z4s on here. Find a good indie mechanic and save some for when something breaks. And always get your maintenance done on time.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

No. Aftermarket warranty companies are like any company, they need to make money.

If they paid out on every issue every warrantied car had, they would go bankrupt. Aftermarket warranties often have clauses in them where any aftermarket part voids the whole warranty, and even in a 100% stock car you have to pull their teeth to get them to fix something that breaks.

Its a waste of money. A HUGE waste of money.

Some people have good experiences. MOST dont. If MOST had good experiences the aftermarket company wouldnt be in business. Its really that simple.
      08-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
No. Aftermarket warranty companies are like any company, they need to make money.

If they paid out on every issue every warrantied car had, they would go bankrupt. Aftermarket warranties often have clauses in them where any aftermarket part voids the whole warranty, and even in a 100% stock car you have to pull their teeth to get them to fix something that breaks.

Its a waste of money. A HUGE waste of money.

Some people have good experiences. MOST dont. If MOST had good experiences the aftermarket company wouldnt be in business. Its really that simple.
Could not agree more. Aftermarket warranties are one of the biggest scams going.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Now normally I would agree with most of the above. But I have a Hendrick Autogard that I bought from Rick Hendrick BMW in Charleston when I bought my coupe. It has functioned exactly as described. I am actually in the black from what i have had fixed and what it cost. The warranty was 1850 and I think I am tallying 2200 in bills they have covered.
They paid for: Diff seal, Power steering pump and hose, Windshield wiper assembly - it started to squeek.....only upon disassembly did we find out that one of the hinges just needed a bit of DFL.

This was all at my preferred shop.

But I have heard that generally they are utter rubbish.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0