ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Appreciate that BMW inline 6

So I've moved from a 2007 Z4 COUPE 3.0Si with the N52 to a 2014 Cayman S. While the porsche flat 6 is a sweet engine that makes some nice sounds, it's overall quality can't live up to the N52 that was in my Z4C. The N52 has a more buttery, balanced feel to it than the porsche 3.4. I used to just rev the n52 for the sound and feel of the engine, don't tend to do that with the porsche flat 6. Pity BMW is phasing out the inline sixes, they are one sweet design.

Last edited by baege; 08-17-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
bajaracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Interesting.......

I am on the fence with my Z4C Si at the moment. I have been looking at the M-coupe or a new Cayman. I would love to hear any more comparisons you may have on the SI and new Cayman.

My main reason for considering a switch, looking for "puts you back in your seat" feeling. I know the torque in these cars are the mid level compared to others. I like the looks of these two cars so that's why I am looking at both of them. A SC in the m-coupe I am sure could fix that feeling. But the Cayman looks sooooo awesome.

thanks

Last edited by bajaracer; 08-17-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I have 2005 z4 3.0, first bmw for me. I have driven lots of straight six powered vehicles being that I am in my fiftys now, I have to say the bmw straight six is ONE of a kind. This engine feels and sounds, responds,pulls,idles, like a small v8. bmw did awesome engineering on these engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
Interesting.......

I am on the fence with my Z4C Si at the moment. I have been looking at a M-coupe or the new Cayman. I would love to hear any more comparisons you may have to the SI and new Cayman.

thanks
I was faced with exactly the same scenario. Before I bought my SI, I drove mcoupes, but never back to back with an SI. I was happy with the SI but hearing from those who had moved from the Si to the Mcoupe made me wonder if that was the direction I should take. Problem was it's very tricky to find an mcoupe to drive, especially in the great white north.

Anyhow, I was anticipating the new cayman for quite a while. I took a drive in a 981 boxster S and was blown away by the driving experience. It made me grin like no car had ever before. I ordered my CS about 3 weeks later.

Comparisons:

Engine: as per my original post the N52 is a sweeter engine overall, the CS makes better exhaust/popping noises and undoubtedly also produces a sweet engine note, but overall I like the N52 better, it's just lower in the NVH area. The only caveat here is that my CS is still not broken in so I've only taken it to 5000 rpm, supposedly it's in the upper ranges where it really shines, which is where the N52 starts to fade a little.

Acceleration/power: The CS is faster than the Si, but not by as much as I thought it would be. I don't think the acceleration/power difference is enough to make the move, knowing what I know now.

Handling: This where the CS leaves the SI in the dust. The CS is just a rock solid, incredibly poised vehicle that has very high limits. I can take turns with a confidence and ability much higher than with the SI. This is where the CS brings more fun than the SI and this is probably what makes the move worth it.

Asthetics: I think a Z4C with proper wheels (at least 18's, preferably 19's) is better looking than a CS. But that's just me. I don't look at the CS like I used to look at my Z4C. This is obviously highly subjective.

Ride: pretty similar, both rough over uneven pavement, CS might be slightly better overall, feels more poised.

Interior: I am not very focused on this, but the CS has a nicer interior.

Overall I am happy with the move, but I recognize that it's partly the new factor that gives the CS it's appeal. If a new mcoupe was available with the M3 v8, that would have really had me thinking.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I think your opinion may change once you take the P-car over 5K rpm. While the Z4M has many advantages over the straight Z4si, the low end torque is similar between the two and the power difference is only really apparent in the higher rpm ranges. I think it's impossible to fairly judge any of the S version Porsches or M version BMWs while holding oneself to low-mid rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The only thing that I would ever consider to replace my SI would be a Z4M or an SDrive 35IS.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The only thing that I would ever consider to replace my SI would be a Z4M or an SDrive 35IS.
Have you driven a Boxster S? If not it may convert you. The handling is where it really differentiates itself. Two trunks are nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I have one trunk I hardly use, so I am not sure why you would want 2 trunks ; )
I've heard the handling is very nice, but the engine is a hand grenade.
      08-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
I thought the IMS issues were resolved in the latest generation of Porsches.

Anyway I came from an MR2 to the Z4 Coupe and, while the N52 motor is a lot more capable than the little 2.2 liter 4 banger in the MR2, there really is something about the handling when the engine is sitting right in back of your head that I miss.

While the Cayman is in a whole different class of vehicle from the MR2 it has that same effortless rotation in a turn I've only felt in mid-engined cars. If the Cayman didn't cost damn near twice what I paid for my Z4 I'd be driving one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Two trunks are nice when you pick someone up and they have more bags than you expected or want to take the sports car on the weekend trip.

The engine issues are far overstated on the older cars and the current generation does not have the IMS any more. I guess folks will still be bringing up IMS issues with Boxsters 5 generations from now...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Two trunks are nice when you pick someone up and they have more bags than you expected or want to take the sports car on the weekend trip.

The engine issues are far overstated on the older cars and the current generation does not have the IMS any more. I guess folks will still be bringing up IMS issues with Boxsters 5 generations from now...
I just like the classic roadster appeal of the Z4 and am quite enamored with the long hood, short rear deck and "low over the back axle" seating position. Besides, with my luck, if I had a car with two trunks, my wife would really enjoy filling them up with shopping.

Having said that, I admit that a new Boxster / Cayman would look mighty fine in my garage some time in the future. But for now, my Z4 meets all my needs quite nicely.

And yes, its not fair to talk about the IMS on the newer Porsche machines. There are quite a lot of older Boxsters and Caymans and various iterations of the venerable 911 going happily around town now and I've yet to hear of any one of them experiencing an IMS issue.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 08-20-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

IMO the Cayman/Boxter is a more precise car, almost clinical. Engines , i like them both, but I think that the S54 gives me more joy.

I am getting the upgrade itch and am looking at the Jaguar F Type. I will drive the F Type for the first time next Saturday. I hope I don't like it cause I don't want the car payment, but damn if the car doesnt look and sound amazing.
      08-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My new blipshift.com shirt, on its way now.. LOVE it!

http://blipshift.com/products/like-butter
      08-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Just so I am clear, when/what year did Porsche sort out its engine with the IMS?
Don't get me wrong, I love the look, and my mates goes great. But any work you gotta do on the car and you gotta drop the engine.. For me that's a deal breaker as I do most of my own spannering.

Given also that servicing is 3 times the price where I live for the cayman vs my bimmer, I'd have to take that into account as I don't have the equipment to drop my engine. I would imagine the insurance cost to be similar, but yeah I love the look and the handling, even without the IMS, I think the engine is flat (no pun intended

The S 0-60 times are impressive though. ; )

Last edited by Vanne; 08-21-2013 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To be clear you can do a lot of work on a Boxster without "dropping the motor". There are access bays behind the seats and in the convertible top tray. You can also get to some things through the rear wheel wells with a wheel off. 2009 and up are cars to look for if you are worried about IMS failures.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
To be clear you can do a lot of work on a Boxster without "dropping the motor". There are access bays behind the seats and in the convertible top tray. You can also get to some things through the rear wheel wells with a wheel off. 2009 and up are cars to look for if you are worried about IMS failures.
The earlier Boxsters can be had at amazing prices. I once found a site that offered an engine retrofit kit to eliminate the IMS issue for around $1000. I'll see if I can find it.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The earlier Boxsters can be had at amazing prices. I once found a site that offered an engine retrofit kit to eliminate the IMS issue for around $1000. I'll see if I can find it.
Yes there is a guy who works wonders on the M96 motors(kind of like Randy Forbes does for S54's). they make kits to eliminate the IMS or add double rows to help make it stronger.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I think this is it:

http://www.imsretrofit.com/

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Baege... wow kinda surpised you prefer the SI versus a new CS... I love the look of the cayman...think it's a prettier car...I love the Z4 coupe rear end...very pretty...but cayman overall has very nice lines. Handling and power of the cayman should be better... never figured the SI would be better car versus Cayman...interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=imom;14630831]Baege... wow kinda surpised you prefer the SI versus a new CS... I love the look of the cayman...think it's a prettier car...I love the Z4 coupe rear end...very pretty...but cayman overall has very nice lines. Handling and power of the cayman should be better... never figured the SI would be better car versus Cayman...interesting.

Yah, I never actually said that I think the SI is a better car overall than the CS. In fact, there is no question that I like the CS overall better than the SI. But the SI has a couple things over the CS for me, notably the N52 is a sweeter engine than the 3.4 in my CS and I think the Z4C shape is asthetically better than the CS. But both points are subjective and there's no question "objectively" the CS is the better car. It is more fun overall which in the end is the greatest measure of any car.
Appreciate 0