ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Damn I Love this Car...

Sometimes as much we love our cars, we need something to remind us of how we felt on day one. For some it might be a fresh detail job, for me it's a good day at the track. I just came back from NJMP and honestly I wasn't expecting much. It's been 7 months since I last came here and didn't think I'd improve much, maybe at best pick up where I last left off. I only signed up because it was the one event most of my track buddies were doing (even saw Pal and JasonH!).

First day we pretty uneventful, short sessions (four 20 min sessions) combined with tons of traffic almost made it seem like a waste of money -- which is almost impossible for any day at the track. Second day was different story, some drivers got reshuffled, some learned the line, others didn't show but in the end there were far less trains. Then we got an extra 5 mins because folks complained (this required combining the club racer groups). Given the better track conditions, I was actually able to get consistent clean laps and the results were great. I actually ran a consistent 1:20 each lap which was my previous best and actually hit 1:19 three times.

NJMP Lightning really favors high hp or cars with aero, neither of which my N52 coupe has but I think where I made up was braking. Although I installed my Stoptech ST40 kit few months ago, I never really got a chance to push them. I did few events at Lime Rock but that's really a momentum track, no real hard braking zones. But NJMP Lightning has 2 hard braking zones, T1 and 7 and I was shocked how deep I could begin my braking without encountering a hint of sponginess in the pedal, lap after lap after lap.

Final 3 laps of my last session, maybe 10 cars on track max. Wish every event was like this.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 09-06-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Nice driving, and thanks for sharing. It's always great to see other's laps.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

DSC, Thanks for posting, looks like some serious fun. Question about your mileage, track time, and do you have your oil analyzed? I ask due to the posts and discussions on the forum about the Z4M cars and bearing life for those who track their cars. Any special prep/maintenance/mods that you do to promote longevity?
      08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
DSC, Thanks for posting, looks like some serious fun. Question about your mileage, track time, and do you have your oil analyzed? I ask due to the posts and discussions on the forum about the Z4M cars and bearing life for those who track their cars. Any special prep/maintenance/mods that you do to promote longevity?
Funny you bring this up, I've read the same threads as you and I'm going to submit my oil to Blackstone for the first time at my next change which is 65,000. I currently have 62,300. I do synthetic every 5k but will occasionally do it in between if I've had a long series of weekends at the track. Although the oil analysis will confirm if that's even necessary. I typically do 5-8 events per year, on average each event is 2 days. A typical day has 100 mins of track time (4 sessions of 25). The car is not my daily but I still take it out on nice weekends whenever possible.

General Maintenance / Wear & Tear

Oil changes as I just mentioned but I also do diff / trans / coolant every 30k. I do brake flushes twice a season but that's just from the track. I did bushings at 40k (motor, trans, front & rear control arms).

What I've had to Replace So Far

I just replaced all 6 coilpacks as I had misfire on cylinder 4. The ironic thing was I only pulled them out to check if there was any oil in the plugs (more on this later) but once I put them back in, I started having misfire. Figured may as well replace now seeing how they're known to go out between 60-70k. Also replaced the plugs at the same time.

I had my HID bulb go out on the left side after 4 years. The only annoying electrical issue is that despite changing the ignition switch (5 min job), sometimes the car still thinks the key is in the ignition when I exit the car. So you'll hear an annoying chime or the instrument panel will stay lit. The simple fix is to put the key back in, turn it once or twice and pull out. However that's clearly not a long-term fix. Not sure if this is related but there are times when my remote just doesn't work and I have to lock/unlock manually. And magically a few hours later when I return to the car, it might work.

Preventive Maintenance

On the topic of oil, I always check the bay to see hints for any oil leaks, mainly oil filter housing & valve cover gasket since it's a common culprit on the N52 (3/5/X-series included). See thread here.

I expect to do waterpump & t-belt at some point in the future. I'd rather not find out the hard way when the CEL comes on 40 miles from home so I MAY tackle it at 70k. If so, I'll bang out the oil filter housing gasket at the same time since I need to do coolant anyway and the gaskets are so cheap.

I just replaced the belt tensioner not too long ago. Unlike the water pump, it's a quick and relatively affordable repair so figured may as well bang it out b/c its another known issue and again, didn't want to risk being stranted on the road.

Only other "issue" is I noticed the car's had a noticeably longer crank this past year than the first 3 years of ownership. I suspect it may be the starter which I plan on replacing this weekend.
      08-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Great info I'm sure there are many here who will appreciate it as much as I do. Post your Blackstone report when you get it, more good info for us non-M types.
Are you runing any gauges in the car such as oil/water temp? oil pressure?....
      08-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Great info I'm sure there are many here who will appreciate it as much as I do. Post your Blackstone report when you get it, more good info for us non-M types.
Are you runing any gauges in the car such as oil/water temp? oil pressure?....
NP, I'm pleasantly surprised how this car can keep up with others in track. Reminds me of that other thread, the impressiveness of the inline 6.
      08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Great video, thanks for posting. I've only been to the track once, and man...I wish I could downshift as quick as you do. As for keeping up with others at the track, I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to pass or keep up with all the cars at the track I went to earlier this summer. I recall being surprised that I could pass a ~450 hp Mustang Boss. When I happened to sit next to the owner of the car at lunch, he too was shocked that I passed him. He pulled away on the straights, but I always caught up to him in the turns, until he finally let me pass and then I pulled away for good. Of course we were both in the rookie class so take it all with a grain of salt! :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Nice driving. I'm itching to get back on track esp. at lightning.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Awesome driving and video. You could rename this thread "lightening laps". Nice to take a couple virtual laps around the course watching this, especially with another hpde coming up soon. You've gotten very confident in those brakes!
      08-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

nice driving! those stoptechs are definitely working with your braking into turn 1!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey DSC, something you've probably seen but just in case: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ation+dampener The thread hasn't seen much input but I can remember this being an issue with the Datsun 240, 260, 280 inline six.
      08-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Just hit 78K miles on my si Coupe and finished 27 track days so far. New in April 2007. Only maintenance outside of fluid changes and consumables has been a belt tensioner, front strut bearings, a tire pressure sensor and the A/C needing recharge after especially long winter storage.

Did upgrade a lot of the suspension (shocks, struts, springs, FCA bushings/brackets at 60k, so that might cover a few items too.

Still running strong and a 3 season daily driver. Off to Road America at the end of next month.

Last edited by Karacticus; 08-28-2013 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: clarification -- tire pressure, not throttle position
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
Just hit 78K miles on my si Coupe and finished 27 track days so far. New in April 2007. Only maintenance outside of fluid changes and consumables has been a belt tensioner, front strut bearings, a tire pressure sensor and the A/C needing recharge after especially long winter storage.

Did upgrade a lot of the suspension (shocks, struts, springs, FCA bushings/brackets at 60k, so that might cover a few items too.

Still running strong and a 3 season daily driver. Off to Road America at the end of next month.
Not very different for me, I just dread the day I need to do water pump and thermostat.