ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Considering a first Z4 purchase

Been looking at a few z4's and was targeting 2005 plus for the newer features. But I found a 2004 3.0 manual with the sport package, heated seats, HID's and hands free. Build date was march though and I see some features (like remote top down) were not added till April.

Anything else I would be missing out on if I buy a march built 2004? It is the color I want and has most options I want, so I may be willing to pass up some.

Anything on the 2004 I need to be sure and check when I go see it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The only feature you really need from a car like that is chuckability, and that comes standard.
Oh, and that manual trans. The rest is just fluff, or things to have fun upgrading.

I would sweat the condition more than the features.
There may have been a slight issue with the lifters, but I'm not up on it. Do a forum search.
      08-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Check the steering after it sits in hot sun for a while. All Z4's up until around 2007 can have a "notchy" steering problem on really hot days (search and you will see). Some of us had it taken care of in warranty, but there was never a recall. The original fix was to replace the steering column and electric motor ($3200+), but there may be other solutions now. Just something to look for. It is not a failure mode just annoying.

Also check top operation and condition of the top. If the car sits outside, it can collect debris around the top motor way down in the top well behind the seats and this can corrode the motor causing it to need replacement. Worth asking about that piece of the history.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3griff View Post
Check the steering after it sits in hot sun for a while. All Z4's up until around 2007 can have a "notchy" steering problem on really hot days (search and you will see). Some of us had it taken care of in warranty, but there was never a recall. The original fix was to replace the steering column and electric motor ($3200+), but there may be other solutions now. Just something to look for. It is not a failure mode just annoying.

Also check top operation and condition of the top. If the car sits outside, it can collect debris around the top motor way down in the top well behind the seats and this can corrode the motor causing it to need replacement. Worth asking about that piece of the history.
Thanks for the info!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I have owned both a 2004 Z4 Roady and a 2006 Roady. Three things to look at for a 2004 - Sticky steering as mentioned above. (lots of forum info on it). And the roof motor as mentioned was not water sealed and if the roof drain holes got clogged, water would corrode the roof motor.. Also on the 2004 and earlier listen for rattling or clicking in the engine bay. The DISA valve had a bad design where the butterfly valve would literally come of its hinges and fall loose in the casing. It only activates at high RPM so you have to rev up to hear it. Its a forty dollar fix that was redesigned after 2005. Only other thing worth mentioning, if its a good car buy it, and as always switch out the run flats, but chances are, any Z4 that's been around that long has already had that done.
      08-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Global Autosports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30

We got this private seller listing recently:

http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...le-105777.html

It's a 2003 but the color combo is very nice and the car was well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

passenger window express up not until 04/04 build, same build for mp3 player, 04 had all the yellow plastic , 05 had clear with yellow bulbs, 03-04 did not have the side reflectors on the bumper either