ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

would this buff out?

this just happened to my car, an old lady wasn't paying attention and this is the final result, I am very sad and don't know what to expect, do you guys think it can be fix or insurance will make it total lost?
Attached Images

2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Ouch! Sorry to see that!

It's a bit hard to see the damage clearly enough to tell what's affected other than the obvious externals: radiator, bumper, headlight assembly, hood, fender. All of the body panels bolt on/off, so that's replaceable as are the parts above. Structural issues would need a look under the hood and with some of the components off.

Can you take some more pics in the AM with better light, and some with the hood open (assuming you can get it open). Car isn't going anywhere with a broken radiator (hope that is coolant only I see).

Car, in the condition your appears to have been in, should be around 15K-16K to purchase from dealer. You can get a good idea of the cost of parts on Realoem, and add in another 50-75% on top of that for paint and labor. That will give you a price for parts, paint, labor or at least a very rough ballpark to start with.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

what Im worrying is that the radiator frame got moved really close to the air intake, is almost touching it, also how can I make the insurance replace the parts that I added, like the aero bumper, headlights and the dented wheel? here is a list of the things that look damage:
-aero front bumper
-fog lights
-radiator
-radiator frame
-radiator hose
-hood
-fender
-door
-headlight
-intake
thats all I can see for now, air bags did not deployed and car start perfectly.
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yeh, I don't recon that'll buff out, but give it a go. ; )

Sad to see mate, hope you get it sorted.
      09-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

I wouldn't guess more than 8K From what you said, which would save. How are the gaps between fender and doors? Make sure you have a print-out from the frame machine and a 4 wheel alignment. Pick a reputable shop (its your choice). If you are not happy with her insurance company, you can always go through yours. They should waive your deductible and subrogate (collect from her company). As long as parts are still available, you shouldn't have much trouble, but you can help with parts receipts and supplier information. Sorry to see this. Good Luck!
P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll help if I can. I am an auto damage adjuster, but not licensed in your state (disclaimer-ha ha).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Oh no!!!!

What is it with old folks? My neighbor had an old guy in a pick up truck back into the driver's door of his new Civic just the other day in a parking lot, even though the son who was driving was leaning on the horn and yelling STOP!!!!

Here's hoping you get this properly sorted - I sure don't want to see your lovely car written off if it can be properly restored. Keep us posted as things develop!

Cheers!!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Wow, that was painful to look at! But I think that if it started up fine and there are no major leaks, well that should be a good sign, right? best of luck getting this resolved, I never want to feel that pain, but we are always just an idiot texting away from it.
      09-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

If your insurance company totals it, when they come to you with an offer and you think it is too low, tell them they need to indemnify you. This means that they need to find a car like yours ( with all the options, features, miles ) for the price they are offering. Make them tell you where the car is. I went through a similar thing 3 years ago when I totaled my 2004. I ended up getting 2 x the original offer. Just saying.
      09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
JoJo56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0Si

I hit a deer with mine two days ago, first thing I did after having it towed back home was to have it trucked to a "BMW Certified Collision Repair Center" 60 miles at my expense. I wouldn't give my insurance company or any other the opportunity to even suggest one of their "preferred" facilities. Initial estimate is 13,500 parts and labor. And yes, I too am extremely anxious about getting it fixed properly; it bothers me how much it bothers me.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, hope it can get fix, I will let you guys know as soon as I have more news
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo56 View Post
I hit a deer with mine two days ago, first thing I did after having it towed back home was to have it trucked to a "BMW Certified Collision Repair Center" 60 miles at my expense. I wouldn't give my insurance company or any other the opportunity to even suggest one of their "preferred" facilities. Initial estimate is 13,500 parts and labor. And yes, I too am extremely anxious about getting it fixed properly; it bothers me how much it bothers me.
Surprised they didn't total your car. 13.5K in repairs for a sub 20k (based on auction values) car should warrant a total by insurance co.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Look around for the absolutely best shop you can find; I would recommend a shop that's been certified by Mercedes as they have very rigorous body shop standards (more so than BMW).

If you see M cars, Ferarris, Porches in the parking lot, your at the right place. If its Hondas and Toyota, keep looking. A top shop will handle all the interactions with the insurance company for you, and will go to great lengths to find everything wrong. More to fix means more money to them, so they're motivated to do a great job. The insurance company is only motivated to screw you.

Front end damage is usually more extensive than it looks; I'm thinking $10k easy from those photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
what Im worrying is that the radiator frame got moved really close to the air intake, is almost touching it, also how can I make the insurance replace the parts that I added, like the aero bumper, headlights and the dented wheel? here is a list of the things that look damage:
-aero front bumper
-fog lights
-radiator
-radiator frame
-radiator hose
-hood
-fender
-door
-headlight
-intake
thats all I can see for now, air bags did not deployed and car start perfectly.
I spoke to my insurance company about this before after buying some expensive performance parts. They told me, try to keep receipts and pictures of parts. Good luck man! Sorry it happened but hey, good excuse to get a Z4MR now!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I spoke to my insurance and most likely they will totaled the car, the said that they will be calling me during next week to tell me how much my car is wort, also I want to remove all the extra parts that I added but they told me to live them on the car as they can increase the value of the car.
more pic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. Daylight didn't improve this. That does look pretty extensive. Hope this works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

guys I need your help, my car is officially a total lost, they just want to give me $9,500 including the car and aftermarket parts, but I still owe 2,000 minus 500 for the deductible, so basically I'll be getting only 7000 for my car, off course i'm not going to accept that, but they don't want to negotiate, what can I do here is some info about my car:
2005 2.5 140,000 miles but how can I know if I have premium package and sport package??? please guys help me out
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
guys I need your help, my car is officially a total lost, they just want to give me $9,500 including the car and aftermarket parts, but I still owe 2,000 minus 500 for the deductible, so basically I'll be getting only 7000 for my car, off course i'm not going to accept that, but they don't want to negotiate, what can I do here is some info about my car:
2005 2.5 140,000 miles but how can I know if I have premium package and sport package??? please guys help me out
They determine the fair value market of the car either based on KBB or Galves. Here is a link to KBB and looks like they are not too far off base. Reality is your car is worth about 9k stock on the market.

http://www.kbb.com/bmw/z4/2005-bmw-z...=private-party

I have been burnt by insurance before and unless you have GAP insurance you typically get shafted when your call gets totaled. Sorry man

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN10SS View Post
If you are not happy with her insurance company, you can always go through yours. They should waive your deductible and subrogate (collect from her company). As long as parts are still available, you shouldn't have much trouble, but you can help with parts receipts and supplier information. Sorry to see this. Good Luck!
Speaking from experience, going this route is very painful and you will get reimbursed 75% of your deductible. Try to go through her ins if she is 100% at fault. By the way how did the accident happen? Did she hit you head on?

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
IF you got a quote by a certified shop saying it can be repaired why can't you tell them it was not your fault - you want it fixed and then start telling them how sore your neck and back have been and you will get back to them after you see the doctors
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
If your insurance company totals it, when they come to you with an offer and you think it is too low, tell them they need to indemnify you. This means that they need to find a car like yours ( with all the options, features, miles ) for the price they are offering. Make them tell you where the car is. I went through a similar thing 3 years ago when I totaled my 2004. I ended up getting 2 x the original offer. Just saying.
I Can't tell you what to do in your situation, but I wanted to echo what imz4m said.
I have a 83 Rabbit GTi. Was rear ended by a car that was rear ended. Insurance offered me $500 for the total loss and I laughed at them. "Find me one for that, these are very rare now." I said. I offered to send them listings of similar cars which varied from 1500 to 8000. They ended up calling each one of them, then settling on one nearby at $2000. They paid me that and told me the guy is waiting on my call, but I can keep my current car either way.
Maybe it depends on adjusters, but I'd talk with them like they are car guys as well.

My only other bit of advice is: if you do go the repair route, buy the body shop pizzas. Once in the beginning, say like a week in. And maybe again towards the assembly and painting. These guys get cookies and muffins from thankful clients, but it's always after the work is complete. That food has no effect on the investment the body shop tech has in your car. Do it before they start straightening, repairing, and assembling and you might be able to avoid the "looks good from my house" approach to repair they might have on other clients cars.