BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Scottsard32
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 EDC 2008

Front brake "clap" noise

Hi, please can anyone help with the following un-usual noise? I have searched the forums but can only find threads with constant tapping when braking or grinding type noises.

When applying the brakes for the first time, or when re-applying the brakes after a period of time, I can hear a single "Clap" or "Tap" type noise, almost as if its the callipers initially contacting the disc. If I then re-apply the brake immediately after, no noise. If I leave it say a couple of minutes and re-apply, I get the single "Clap/Tap" noise?

I can only describe it as I am imagining that once the brake has been appllied and released, if given time for the brake fluid pressure to decrease and the pads move just enough off the disc, it will make the tap contact noise again. The brake pads all look good as does the discs and I havent noticed any decrease in braking performance.

The car is an E93 M3, 2008, 36,000 miles. Has anybody else experienced this or aware of any adjustments/fixes before I visit the stealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Rostasteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black M3

I haven't had this problem on my //M, but I've had tapping/clapping sounds on other cars. One time the anti-rattle clips weren't secured and there was metal to metal knocking noise from the pad being knocked around in the caliper. Another time my caliper was sticking and not sliding smoothly, which resulting in a clicking/clapping sound when I applied the brakes for the first time.

Not much you can adjust unless you're comfortable working with brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Is this just one caliper? Is the outside pad clip/prong properly holding the pad in the caliper? My track pads don't have clip/prong and they rattle in the caliper.
      09-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Dave2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Convertible

I just had this same problem. When I first apply the brakes after the car has been sitting it will make a "clunking' noise. I could reapply the bakes immediately and there would be no noise. After driving a short distance, about 1/2 mile, the "clunking" sound would happen with the first application of the brakes.

The dealer suspected it may be worn pad carriers, but upon inspection only lubrication was required. It has been noise free now for a month.