ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Hagerty Insurance

So, after reading of fercho's insurance woes after his accident I remembered that I'd been meaning to get a quote for an agreed upon value insurance policy for my car since I have a significant amount of money "invested" in mods. My car is garaged at my "vacation rental" in California (where my wife prefers to live - no surprise) and I spend well over half of my time in Alaska for work. The car is driven 3-5000 miles a year.

I got a great quote that was slightly more than my current coverage for the value of my car plus mods and was also zero deductible. I was pretty stoked to have my car fully covered in the even that anything should happen to it. Then I called Hagerty to discuss specifics. I'm an honest guy and am always up front about my abnormal living situation. Hagerty said that I would be rejected because I don't have a second car just for my personal use in case I have to "run an errand" while my wife is using our other car. Every time I choose to drive my car it is for pleasure and I often ride my bike or walk for short trips instead of driving. I rarely NEED to go anywhere when I'm in CA.

This is as much a vent/rant as it is a warning for anyone considering going the same route. I'm happy I was honest but I'm disappointed that Hagerty declined to cover my car because I don't have a third vehicle where my car is kept. So, if you're going to try Hagerty be aware of this stipulation. I'm not saying to lie about your vehicle situation but be aware.
      09-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I called Hagerty awhile back. They told me I needed to have a 10 yr old or NEWER car for every driver in the household in order to insure the M coupe. Also could only do 3500 miles per yr on the M.
I do have hagerty on my vespa, because i have another motorcycle. for some reason I don't need 2 motorcycles.
It almost makes sense to pick up a 10 yr old beater to get the hagerty. I just got a 2001 VW for $900, but I missed the mark by 2 yrs.
edit- actually, the daily driver must be 5 yrs old or newer.
•Your regular-use vehicle must be
■No more than ten years old when insuring a 1990’s vehicle
■No more than five years old when insuring a 2000 and newer vehicle

Last edited by silverfishZ4M; 09-19-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I also tried to get Hagerty and got denied, even though there is a second car in the household, it is not registered to me
      09-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

I talked to Grundy today and they said they could cover me for agreed upon value but had the same stipulations as all other classic/collectible insurers that I've found so far. So, no "errands" which of course means a "pleasure drive" can't include a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home etc. They do allow overnight trips but I'm pretty sure they meant only if there's a car gathering at the end of it. Despite them agreeing to cover me I'm going to keep shopping for someone a little more lenient just to ensure my car is ACTUALLY covered since that's the entire goal. Tomorrow I'll be contacting J.C. Taylor, NCM and American Modern.
      09-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Sounds like they want to cover your car, as long as you don't drive it. Lol
      09-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Sounds like they want to cover your car, as long as you don't drive it. Lol
Basically. I'm not sure why it's so hard to get the car covered for agreed value and still be able to drive it as I wish. My major sticking point is the "errands" label. I don't understand why a "pleasure drive" has to be without purpose - I enjoy driving my car to run simple errands and that's about all I "use" it for. I also don't like not being able to take the car on an overnight trip. When I go somewhere I ALWAY call the hotel ahead of time to confirm that there's covered , secure parking. Though, from Top Gear Series 10, Episode 1 I guess we know that isn't always 100% reliable. :-)
      09-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Yeah I find it difficult to understand why you can't go for an errand, but u can go for a full on drive? What if you went for a 'drive' and just happen to stop co-incidentally at the place where you needed something from? Then decided to cancel your drive and go back home?
      09-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Yeah I find it difficult to understand why you can't go for an errand, but u can go for a full on drive? What if you went for a 'drive' and just happen to stop co-incidentally at the place where you needed something from? Then decided to cancel your drive and go back home?
Then it's no longer a pleasure drive and the car isn't covered. I know it would be fairly easy to tell as story to the underwriter that maintains the coverage in the event of a claim but I don't want to have to tiptoe around that. I'm not interested in the collector insurance to save money on my premium. I want it to have my car covered and not have to risk claims denial or being dropped after a claim for an arbitrary reason.
      09-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

We have a very low mileage E30 that has agreed value/collector's car insurance and it allows for errands, trips, whatever, except you are not allowed to drive it to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Then it's no longer a pleasure drive and the car isn't covered. I know it would be fairly easy to tell as story to the underwriter that maintains the coverage in the event of a claim but I don't want to have to tiptoe around that. I'm not interested in the collector insurance to save money on my premium. I want it to have my car covered and not have to risk claims denial or being dropped after a claim for an arbitrary reason.
I hear ya man... Nothing worse than insurance companies trying to squirm Their way out of having to pay a claim. They always try. That's why I've just bitten the bullet and got fully comprehensive insurance for my coupe, it was much cheaper as it's our second car, not sure why I bother though, only get to drive it about once every two weeks...