BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

135i purchase: start saving for a 2nd winter car?

I am about to pull the trigger on a 135i, slightly used, 6MT. Should be a sweet car. My only reservation is that it will be crap in the snow. I live in the snow belt, we can get 30 inches in a light year, or 140 in a big year. I was wondering if I should just start putting money away for a 2003 Subaru Outback at this point? I know how to drive in the snow, been living here most of my life, and last year I had a 328i. But, the 135i is a lighter car with more torque. Either way, it gets winter tires.

Opinions? Can I keep the torque down if I am careful and run this all winter? If it gets really bad, I can drive my wife's AWD, but then she may have to take the 135i for errands, and she won't be happy with that.

For winter snow tires, go with something like Dunlop SP3 wintersports, or something more aggressive, like Blizzaks, or even studs? The thing that sucks about studded tires is that when a break in the weather happens, you don't have tires for a fun weekend drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I'm in Vancouver. In snow my 135i cab performs great better than a lot of my friends with imports (G35 RWD) which I guess cause they have bad traction control. But since my car is low (I'm sure the cab sits lower than the coupe) when the snow piles up I'm SOL until Mr. Plow gets to it. Hope that helps.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Having a second car as a beater or DD is so nice. IF you can find a cheap 2nd car I would go for it.

That said as long as you have a second set of 17" winter tires... your 135i would be fine in the snow. Just not deep snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
performance winter tires are fine for AWD cars, but I don't feel they are enough for RWD cars. I've lived all my life in snowy areas and honestly there is nothing like a good AWD car....having driven Audis for the last 11 years. That being said, I am having Nokian Hakkapaliitas put on my 135is today, which are some of the best dedicated snow tires I could find.

if you've driven a 328 before through the winter then you should be fine with the 135. Just know that it has a shorter wheelbase with more power---so it will be a little less predictable. I say get some really good snow tires and have a go....worst case if you aren't satisfied you can grab a winter beater later.....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
I'm in Vancouver. In snow my 135i cab performs great better than a lot of my friends with imports (G35 RWD) which I guess cause they have bad traction control. But since my car is low (I'm sure the cab sits lower than the coupe) when the snow piles up I'm SOL until Mr. Plow gets to it. Hope that helps.
Well. You do live in Vancouver where the coldest it gets is like -3 haha. Here in the GTA, it gets to about -35 Celsius and snows a lot too! But i'm glad to know I'm not the only vert driving around in the winter
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I drove a Miata throughout the winters....yup with steel wheels and the best snow tires I could get. Believe it or not, I would often pass SUV's with all four of their sh!tty all-season tires spinning on a hill.

Winter tires make all the difference. Now that being said, if you can afford to get another car for the winter to bear the brunt of all the salt/sand/snow/slush/nastiness then go for it!
      11-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

These cars are designed in Germany, and produced in Leipzig - they know snow. BMW's traction control is pretty amazing as well - much better than most. They also have good rust-proofing, if that's a concern. They sell zillions of these all over Europe - they must do well in the snow.
      11-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

With proper snow tires and sensible driving, it should be fine.

A winter "beater" car is fine, but several years back I bought a winter beater to save driving my M3 at the time. I really hated driving the winter car, and I didn't care to spend a lot of money on it for maintenance. I decided that year that having a winter car didn't work for me. Now I am in a situation where I do not have to drive every day, if weather is poor, I don't go out. That said, I do have good winter tires on the 135.
      11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a 135i, slightly used, 6MT. Should be a sweet car. My only reservation is that it will be crap in the snow. I live in the snow belt, we can get 30 inches in a light year, or 140 in a big year. I was wondering if I should just start putting money away for a 2003 Subaru Outback at this point? I know how to drive in the snow, been living here most of my life, and last year I had a 328i. But, the 135i is a lighter car with more torque. Either way, it gets winter tires.

Opinions? Can I keep the torque down if I am careful and run this all winter? If it gets really bad, I can drive my wife's AWD, but then she may have to take the 135i for errands, and she won't be happy with that.

For winter snow tires, go with something like Dunlop SP3 wintersports, or something more aggressive, like Blizzaks, or even studs? The thing that sucks about studded tires is that when a break in the weather happens, you don't have tires for a fun weekend drive.
I think DC averages around 15" per year. Here in Cincinnati we get around 20" each year, and I plan to drive my 135is throughout the winter season on a dedicated winter wheel/tire package running Michelin PA3s (225/45R17) unless conditions are crazy, then I'll take my wife's AWD. Like you, I also wanted to retain some performance when it is not sub-freezing. Probably not the most useful info for you since I haven't actually driven this beast in the snow… yet! Good luck!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
These cars are designed in Germany, and produced in Leipzig - they know snow. BMW's traction control is pretty amazing as well - much better than most. They also have good rust-proofing, if that's a concern. They sell zillions of these all over Europe - they must do well in the snow.
Exactly.

Snow performance comes down to not being an idiot and buying proper snow tires. Dress the car for the season. Supersports do not function below 40 degrees F, let alone the snow.
      11-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
performance winter tires are fine for AWD cars, but I don't feel they are enough for RWD cars. I've lived all my life in snowy areas and honestly there is nothing like a good AWD car....having driven Audis for the last 11 years. That being said, I am having Nokian Hakkapaliitas put on my 135is today, which are some of the best dedicated snow tires I could find.

if you've driven a 328 before through the winter then you should be fine with the 135. Just know that it has a shorter wheelbase with more power---so it will be a little less predictable. I say get some really good snow tires and have a go....worst case if you aren't satisfied you can grab a winter beater later.....
Me too bud, just put on my Blizzaks on oe 17's last night. They are fugly but get the job done.

However if I had to pick a winter "beater", it would be a 4 door Wrangler =D
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Get a set of 225/45/17. Throw in one of the summer wheels in the trunk and you should be good to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:

Good call on these tires. Where did you get them? Price? Size? A fellow New Yorker would like to know.....
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Ummm except in the mountain areas most of Western Europe rarely gets any significant snowfall. And when they do it makes the news even over here.

That said you need to look at two things really.
1) How much snow do you generally get in your area? Do you live where there might be 2-3 storms a year or in Buffalo or Vermont where is snows all the time.
2) How far do you really have to go in the snow? If you have a short commute or have the option to telecommute or are a teacher then snow tires might be good enough.

I commute 75 miles round trip each day so I needed a second vehicle both for the snow and to keep mileage down on my 135.
      11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

I respectfully disagree, I had 17" Blizzaks on my stock Z4 which is lower than most cars and had no problem in tri-state winters. Winter of 08 was probably one of the worst we had and I got by fine in 7" deep snow.

Is AWD better? No doubt but RWD + snow tires is good for 90% of winter situations. Those other 10% of the times, you're probably the only guy even on the road and most places are closed anyway.

Only time I'd care for AWD is if I lived up north, Buffalo, Canada, etc where you get 12-14" easy.
      11-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

I got tired of driving mine in the winter, so many rock chips, idiot drivers you have to watch out for that might hit you, getting high centered and stuck in ruts, lack of practicality for skiing, shitty open diff with electronics.

Bought a $1000 Impreza Wagon with some goodies a few weeks ago and haven't looked back, nice to keep the miles off the nice car and have it tucked away for winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I bought my winter wheel set on year one of my one. I'm on my second set of winter tires and expect to get one more winter out of them after this one. My current tires are Dunlop winter sport 3D. Their preformance winter tires. Here in the philly burbs we usually get 20" a year average. I have not had a problem in the 5 past winters. Just drive sensible.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

I live in Montreal, we get sh*t loads of snow and I love my 135i in the winter! You'd be missing a lot of the fun .

As everyone else said, it's all about the tires. Don't bother buying performance winter tires, just get proper snow tires. If you get a lot of snow you'll need that! I have Blizzak WD (not Blizzak LM which are performance snows), bought from Tirerack and they are awesome. 205 all around so they dig in the snow, and you can switch the front and back from one winter to another. And every morning with snow, I get to do some donuts on parking lots before to go to work

Edit: Just realized this thread was a year old... haha
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmtl_135i View Post
I live in Montreal, we get sh*t loads of snow and I love my 135i in the winter! You'd be missing a lot of the fun .

As everyone else said, it's all about the tires. Don't bother buying performance winter tires, just get proper snow tires. If you get a lot of snow you'll need that! I have Blizzak WD (not Blizzak LM which are performance snows), bought from Tirerack and they are awesome. 205 all around so they dig in the snow, and you can switch the front and back from one winter to another. And every morning with snow, I get to do some donuts on parking lots before to go to work

Edit: Just realized this thread was a year old... haha
This is 2013!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
alexmtl_135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 Coupe P31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
This is 2013!
Wow I need some rest haha
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Boy, "It's all about the tires" ain't no joke! I have the dreaded runflats -- sport performance -- as I'm not in a position where I could store additional wheels and/or tires. We had about three inches the other morning and I practically ate it on a basic, minor incline, then barely made it home... and was 1/2 mile's worth of driving! So just to satisfy the need to over protect the amazing kick-ass beest that is my 135i, I went out and bought a 2002 Toyota Sequoia to drive Nov. - Mar.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Get snows for the Toyota then. I've passed plenty of them stuck with all seasons, which is extra amusing as I'm in the little coupe with the stripe.
Appreciate 0