BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
jagwar
Registered
Rep
Drives: E88 120i

Vert wonīt work using center console buttons

Hi everybody,

I own a ī09 120i cabrio and suddenly it wonīt open nor close the top using both commands on center console.
I have a smartop module and the top open/close nicely using the remote control. I disabled the module to see if it was any kind of interference (used the setup to turn it off without removing the hardware) and I was still able to open the top holding the remote fob, but the center console buttons were still dead.
The buttons light orange normally when I turn the headlights on, but they wonīt flash the green/red led when pressed.
I tried to stop the open movement at half way when using the remote, and than the consoleīs open button started to flash red, so the led is still working, but nothing happens when I press them, both... The dash doesnīt show any message, even If I close the tray at the rear, it shows no message if I try to open using center console buttons.
Anyone had this issue already? I wanna try to fix it my self īcos my local bmw dealer (brazil) sux, and Iīll sure have to remove the smarttop prior to send them the car :/

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
granracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda Miata

Start by checking fuses?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
jagwar
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by granracing View Post
Start by checking fuses?
Sorry, forgot to tell, but I checked.. thereīs only one 20A fuse for the roof system. I even removed it, the dash showed the red draw (car with top closed), and returned to normal as soon as I re-inserted the fuse..
Also tried to remove the battery for a couple minutes, without any result from that :/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Pothole
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E88 125i, RR sport 3.0tdv6

There could be something in front of the sensors. I once had a plastic bag stuck in the tray where the roof folds into in my old Audi A4 vert. I opened the roof manually and got rid of the bag.

Download the manual:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211385

Page 35 for troubleshooting.

Good luck.
BMW E88 125i - Tunex Tuned@ 228whp - Cyba Scoops - Performance Kidneys - Performance Exhaust - Performance Intake - BMW Strutbar - 3d Design Carbon Diffuser - Blacklines - Golf Tee - FK Coilovers - Klutch SL14

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
jagwar
Registered
Rep

Solved (?)

Well.. thatīs really weird, but, I donīt use this car everyday, and it was parked since the weekend when I got it today to go to gym and decided to press the roof switch... and... everything worked just fine! dunno if Iīm happy for having it operational again or worried īcos I still have no clue about the reasons behind it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
Mark16q
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i convertible AW 6MT

mine recently stopped working, and it turned out to be a loose wiring connection running through the center console. at least that's what the dealership said. good thing i've got the cpo warranty on this thing...