BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

CTek 3300 review maintenence charger

With this crazy weather going on in the north east, I thought it would be a good time to mention a recent purchase. My 2009 135i Msport Cabrio is not my DD, but not quite a garage queen. I won't drive it on snowy or wet salty days, otherwise, she gets weekend and occasional evening duty. Last year, there were 2-3 week periods where I do not drive her in January/February. One time the low charge warning came up on startup. Rather than kill a $500 battery, I thought a trickle charger would be a good idea.

Most people here suggest the battery tender plus, Schumacher or ctek models. After doing some reading, it seems ctek makes oem chargers for Mercedes and Ferrari. What convinced me to go with the ctek is the fact that it can revive sulphated batteries, it has an intellegent charging model and it is good for all types of batteries (AGM and gel included). Lastly, if the power is interrupted, it will go back to the last mode it was on. This was kind of important for me as brief power outages are common in my area.

It comes with ring eye and clamp harnesses and a nice carry bag. I chose to attach it to the under hood jump points using the clamps. If you feed the wire just above the right headlight, through the radiator support you can also close the hood without pinching thy wires.

I used the AGM/<40deg setting. It took about 24 hrs to go from charge to maintenence mode.

If you've been kicking this decision around, this storm might force your hand. Here's the link to the 3300 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-12-.../dp/B000FQBWCY
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

I've had this model for a couple of years. First on my M3 and now on the 135i. No complaints - it seems to work really well. I don't have it permanently mounted however. I just leave the hood open a bit and run the wires out the front.

It also provides enough juice to pop the trunk in case you shut the trunk with the battery disconnected.
Appreciate 0