BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Weird failure indications in the snow?

So yesterday we got hit with a surprise snow storm in the iddle of the day. I of course have no snow tires and my current ones are worn and need replacement. Anyway, while trying to go up a incline, my tires began to spin out and I ended up slowly inching my way up the hill. After about 5 mins of this, I suddenly got an ABS failure alert, as well as a failure of the passenger restraint system/airbag. I have a JB4 and it is set to auto clear and when i later shut down and re-started the alerts did not show up again. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU135i
So yesterday we got hit with a surprise snow storm in the iddle of the day. I of course have no snow tires and my current ones are worn and need replacement. Anyway, while trying to go up a incline, my tires began to spin out and I ended up slowly inching my way up the hill. After about 5 mins of this, I suddenly got an ABS failure alert, as well as a failure of the passenger restraint system/airbag. I have a JB4 and it is set to auto clear and when i later shut down and re-started the alerts did not show up again. Any ideas?
Memory is fuzzy here but I think I had an ABS light last year after getting stuck in the snow and spinning the wheels an insane amount to try and break free (obviously not the right solution). Tires were getting pretty hot, not sure if that had anything to do with it or if it just made the ABS sensors dizzy I really have no idea as to the exact reason. ABS light cleared on its own after driving a while (system auto reset/recalibration?). Never had seatbelt/restraint light though.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Motohip
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i

I was driving my bosses Volvo in the snow and I got the ABS light on. It cleared itself when I left work.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Had an ABS light come on this morning during a light hoon session on the way to work at o'dark thirty. I like to play with it when no one is around for my ignorant tom-foolery after a foot of snow.

I had barely touched the brakes and was surprised to see it come on.. The brakes were quite heavy after that, so I pulled into a plowed parking lot, let it idle for a second and shut it off. I then noticed that the wheels were caked in ice..

After clearing that out, it was reset on startup and the brake pedal was back.

A fantastic Monday morning indeed..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

ABS rings on the sideshaft maybe clogged by snow...
Appreciate 0