XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Members Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys

03-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

Wtb coilovers x5 35d

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
I'm not on the x forums often, I'm on the m3 side lol but if anyone has some coilovers for sale please pm me info.... Looking for my x5 35d without self leveling....

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Just to be clear, are there any other options other than KW v3's for the e70?
      03-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

Not that I know of yet... I have talked to a place that will make a custom set for a reasonable price they just need a few measurements and some other info from the stock setup.. Are you also looking for a set?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel///M View Post
Not that I know of yet... I have talked to a place that will make a custom set for a reasonable price they just need a few measurements and some other info from the stock setup.. Are you also looking for a set?
Depends on the brand. I've seen, ridden and used many. I'm very particular to the materials (e.g. bodies and springs), but also to the valving. I'm currently using AST's valved to Whiteline specifications on my other car.

KW v3's are too rich for my blood, and would much prefer a sub $2k coilover if possible. I don't know why they don't make a v2...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Just a slight add here, there is a Taiwanese company called D2 that does produce a coilover for the E70. However, I would stay away. Run if you can.

D2, is no different than BC Racing. Both offer their own line of suspension products, among other things, but also do private label products too. BC (Parent Borr Chuann) makes a ton of private label junk. These are all the $500-$1500 coilovers for the import asian cars, that all have the same eleventy-billion adjustments, and you can slam it to the ground, while racing your car. I've seen coilovers for under $400 at times! When my swift springs alone for my coilovers cost that, I don't see how an entire coilover set and springs can be....

That said, in numerous cases, the spring rates are not close to advertised rates, and valving has not been consistent. Sure it's got 32+ adjustments, but they ain't linear.

Then factor in materials, most everyone with coilovers such as this, talk about 1-2 winters later where the collar is seized to the body, rendering them useless. (KW doesn't have this issue)

Another company ISC, (I am pretty sure made by BC) doesn't warranty their products if driven on the streets. LOL. Their big brake kits use proprietary pad shapes, and they just discontinued some of their line. Sucks to be those customers when they need rings and such.

Don't just settle on price, or advertised benefits. Do research onto the company, their feedback on the community for support issues, and in many cases, avoid products from China/Taiwan/HK as historically they are the low cost items that are mass produced with little to no R&D, many times a blatant copy of a competitor product (e.g. agency power)
Appreciate 0