BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Tut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe (Sold), 2016 M3

Exclamation DCT Problem_Please advise

My 2008 e92 gave me a "Transmission Check" message after running flawlessly for 56,000 miles. The transmission wouldn't engage. After towing it to my dealer the car started fine and shifted perfectly. After 5 days at the service department, they couldn't duplicate the problem. BMW recommended changing the electronic controller for the transmission ($6200).
The question is: Should I continue to drive the car, since it shifts fine now, and wait for it to happen again or go ahead and bite the bullet not knowing whether replacing the controller will fix the problem or not.
I would appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

But of course their gonna recommend you change the controller @ $6200!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

You might do what I did: sell the car.

I had an incident in my driveway in early March when the display went blank and I couldn't engage a gear. I turned the car off and started it again, and everything was fine. Then I hit what looked like some dirty snow on the road a few days later and a chunk of ice split the transmission pan. After waiting three weeks for parts from Germany the dealer put it back together - and ran into the same problem. I told them it would be fine the next day and it was. Their recommendation: a new mechatronic unit might do it, but I might need a new DCT at $14,000. With 140,000 kilometers on the car, the shocks shot and brakes coming up (Amazingly never done!) and an ECU plagued with CELs and occasional limp homes I had had enough.

I bought a 435i xDrive 8 AT instead of an M4 because we now only have one car (my wife can't drive a manual) and I'll never buy another car from BMW with a DCT.

Last edited by BimmerBoomer; 05-14-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Tut
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your feedback. Got my car back today, opted out of replacing the controller unit and will continue to drive as long as I don't get any more error messages. Will make the hard decision once I get the same message again. I will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
I had an incident in my driveway in early March when the display went blank and I couldn't engage a gear. I turned the car off and started it again, and everything was fine. Then I hit what looked like some dirty snow on the road a few days later and a chunk of ice split the transmission pan. After waiting three weeks for parts from Germany the dealer put it back together - and ran into the same problem. I told them it would be fine the next day and it was. Their recommendation: a new mechatronic unit might do it, but I might need a new DCT at $14,000. With 140,000 kilometers on the car, the shocks shot and brakes coming up (Amazingly never done!) and an ECU plagued with CELs and occasional limp homes I had had enough.

I bought a 435i xDrive 8 AT instead of an M4 because we now only have one car (my wife can't drive a manual) and I'll never buy another car from BMW with a DCT.
This makes me reconsider buying a DCT M3 now. Isn't it proven to be reliable so far?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep

Yup...

That's what the dealer quoted me. The real scandal is that the dealers don't really know how to fix these things - they just treat them as modules to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
That's what the dealer quoted me. The real scandal is that the dealers don't really know how to fix these things - they just treat them as modules to be replaced.
There are no internal parts available for purchase from BMW for the DCT or the 6MT. They are sold as sealed units. If you need to swap a synchro or similar you are SOL.

I suspect this is just another way for BMW & their dealers to make money on continued ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep

Good luck Tut...

My DCT was behaving well, but with just one car in the family now I just couldn't take the risk of continuing to drive it. I got a good trade in and I wish the new owner well. I do however wonder how anyone could sell the car without misleading the purchaser.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Tut
Private
Rep

Quote:
My DCT was behaving well, but with just one car in the family now I just couldn't take the risk of continuing to drive it. I got a good trade in and I wish the new owner well. I do however wonder how anyone could sell the car without misleading the purchaser.
I'll keep you posted, while keeping my fingers crossed. I sure enjoy driving this car like no other, specially when it's been absolutely trouble free for the last 6 years.
Appreciate 0